Slagwerk Den Haag
".. one of the most venerable and important percussion groups in the world!" - Steven Schick
Foto: Gerrit Schreurs
Slagwerk Den Haag: inventive, varied sound
'we aim to amaze and enrich'
Slagwerk Den Haag is fascinated by everything concerned with sound, pulse and materials that produce sound.
Come to one of our projects and you will understand why. We're keen to read your reactions to our sound fascinations on Facebook or Twitter.
We are podium artists and highly versatile creators and co-creators. As performers, we play in every setting imaginable, on our traditional arsenal of instruments, and on porcelain, equine jaws, glass or 3D-printed instruments. We work alongside trendsetting artists and makers. Our projects reflect the very latest developments and we do everything in our power to help in the quest for the undiscovered.
If attending one of our projects has given you ideas about the undiscovered and our vision of this concept, please let us know via social media or email@example.com
Facts & figures
• studio: SDH has a working studio in The Hague with a huge collection of instruments
• partners: Club Guy & Roni, Korzo Theater, Orkater, Asko | Schönberg, Royal Conservatoire, Veenfabriek, Kytopia, Amsterdam Sinfonietta, Koorenhuis, National Ballet, NOISIA
• co-makers*: Guo Wenjing (c), Yannis Kyriakides (c), Ralph van Raat (p), Louis Andriessen (c), Michael Gordon (c), Steven Reich (c), Arnoud Noordegraaf (vid), Wouter van Reek (de), Fabian Marcaccio (vis), John Luther Adams (c).
• playing field: Bang on a can (New York), Berliner Festspiele, Terschelling beach/Oerol, Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Hockey World Championships The Hague, Holland Festival, slums of Cairo, November Music, classroom, Gaudeamus Music Week, Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ, Vondelpark Amsterdam, tours: Europe - US - Middle-East - Japan
• quirky: sewage system artistes, firework accompanists, bouncy ball pullers, crowd engagers, blackboard artists, instrument builders
• figures: 6 percussionists, founded in 1977, more than 100 shows a year, more than 20,000 visitors in 2013
• results: concert, dance, education, musical theatre (also for families), special events, talent development
• fan base: SDH10 (join and support us!)
• leading: SDH excels in core percussion repertoire from the last century
• press: ‘...dazzling percussion group, similarly combined virtuosity and theatricality...’ - New York Times, '...a triumph for fabulous sounds and inventiveness...' - Volkskrant, '...varied and exciting...' - NRC-Handelsblad, '...superior performance...' - De Telegraaf
• partners: label Cantaloupe/New York - (web)design Ontwerpwerk/Den Haag
* a=actor | vis=visual artist | c=composer| da=dancer | p=pianist | de=designer | vid=video artist
Download the full biography here
2521 AL Den Haag